Thursday, December 19, 2019



Start With The Human In The Mirror

The first chapter of volume 1 of Desserts will make it's debut here 

on January 1 @ 10am!


Please subscribe to the Desserts webcomic series so I can reach my 

goal of 100 subscribers!

While I’ve been expecting my newborn son to arrive, I’ve been


paired up with a home nurse who comes to visit me every two 
weeks. During our last session together we started to work on a 
thing called a “Life History Calender.” I guess it’s kind of a way 
for us to get to know each other better. But it really got me 
thinking.
I almost didn’t want to partake in this activity because, the truth is, 
there has been so much bad that’s taken place in my life. I’ve made 
so manny errors and bad decisions. The story of my family and I is 
so not perfect at all. I worried that my nurse would finally see that 
I’m too flawed to be a good mom. But what parents aren’t flawed?
When I first started writing Desserts, I wanted to use it as a way to 
chastise my parents for all the hurtful things that happened in my 
life. I wanted to blame them for my trauma and lack of guidance. 
But, ever since becoming pregnant, two realizations have made me 
see why doing that would be all wrong.
1) Just because our parents are grown, does not mean that they 
aren’t still growing up. We are all just very imperfect human 
beings 
who are trying to guide our children in the right way while we 
ourselves are still learning how to navigate life. Though I can try 
my hardest to protect and guide my son in the right ways, as he 
grows older he will see more and more that, just like everyone 
else, I’m not perfect.

2) My family was dealt a bad hand in life a lot of the times, but my 
parents always tried their best to show me and my siblings love 
and keep us safe. I would be lying if I said that I never made very 
poor decisions in response to my situations, despite knowing 
better. 
I chose to lash out at my family and became too stubborn to follow 
their guidance. Most of the things that hurt me the most in life 
where caused by me, my actions.
How different my life would be right now if I'd only done 
everything right, the way I knew I was supposed to.
Maybe the good part is that now I can learn from all the past errors 
my parents and I made. Maybe this was all meant to make me a 
better mom with a healthier mind.
And maybe I wouldn’t have learned all that I know now if I’d done 
everything right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start With The Human In The Mirror The first chapter of volume 1 of Desserts will make it's debut here   on January 1 @ 10am! ...